Monday, January 6, 2014

My Trip Into the Wilderness, Never Forget What Makes You Happy




Sorry for not posting in a while! I had to find some sort of escape from all of life's ridiculousness so I chose to call an old friend of mine to join my on a trek into Charles C. Deam's Wilderness area in Hoosier National Forest. We took the Grubb Ridge trail route to the Peninsula on Lake Monroe. An 8.1 mile hike in was filled with sights of a winter beauty and untouched nature- culminating into the exact mental remedy I needed to sooth a mixture of anxiety and the clutter of thought that seemed to plague me as my time away from "Mother I" wound down.

I packed a majority of the group gear and food to increase my ruck weight in hopes of adding a bit of training to the excursion - my pack was over 80lbs which, for any backpacking aficionados that may be reading this post, is an extremely heavy pack for a weekend trip. Even with that burden, my buddy and I managed to keep our pace between 3 and 4mph which allowed us plenty of time to set up camp before nightfall (we hit the trailhead around 1300) as well as ample time to leave before the great snow storm hit the midwest.

The weekend living by our own means among the frozen trees of wilderness, aloof from civilization, fostered my ability to reflect on the transformation I have personally experienced during my first semester at college as well as the web of conflict which spun in my mind. My reflections were noted in a journal that I started to carry with me in hopes of developing my thoughts to post here, but until that time I will share only a brief idea on what I found to be a minor issue that I would argue we all face; an overlooking of appreciation for the "what" and "who" in our respective lives.

By subjugating myself to an experience that by nature (pun not intended) required minimalism of comforts and communication, I found that it was so easy to count our blessings. Not to speak from any sort of pedestal nor write in stanzas of cliches fit to bestow moral upon a child - but it is almost painful to observe the ease with which a plurality of individuals take. Taking what one wants by impulse of the moment with no grace nor wisdom of future implication or use normally always leads to a waste in one form or the other. With waste, in context, denoting negative consequence; my most immediate example is regret. As we grow up and move on to "bigger" and "better" experiences and pathways in life -- whether it be college, a career, discovering new places and things, or devoting yourself to a loved one -- the foundation to our joy and successes may be easily overlooked and (regretfully) forgotten or lost. As I realize that the decisions I am making shape the role I will fill in the world and ultimately the legacy I leave, the thought which anchors me when I  feel so filled with ambition and goals that I will take off is the thought of my family's undying love and support.

On my trip, my good friend and I were able to go out with only what we were able to carry on our backs and each other, without the amenities of modern civilization, and create a memory that I know I will cherish for a long time. I believe everyone should stand that kind of vigil, one held within themselves. Never forget the "what" and "who."

- Stephen




No comments:

Post a Comment